Tyler's June Wrap-Up

12:02:00 AM

This month was a pretty productive reading month for me, compared to the rest of this year! I read 5 books, and on average, I rated June 4 out of 5 stars!

The first book I read was "Where She Went", the sequel to "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman. This book is told from Adam's perspective, which was reallly interesting to me because I loved his character in "If I Stay". However, this book is very slow and uneventful until the last fourth of the book. Overall, I would give this book a 3 out of 5 stars. 

         It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance   -
 https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/8492825-where-she-went
The second book that I read in June was "Black City" by Elizabeth Richards! This was actually the book that I chose to write a review on for this month, so go check that out to see my thoughts! My rating was 3.5 out of 5 stars! REVIEW - http://ourstoriesareperfect.blogspot.com/2015/06/review-black-city-by-elizabeth-richards.html
A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war.

In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-old Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable—they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash’s long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they’re caught, they’ll be executed—but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12568505-black-city
The third book I read this month was "An Ember In The Ashes" by Sabaa Tahir. I actually listened to this book as an audio book(MY FIRST AUDIO BOOK YAY)! Unfortunately, since I didn't have to actually read the words myself, I was able to become very distracted. I feel like maybe if I read an e-book or a physical copy, it would've been much easier for me to understand and comprehend the book. Even if I wasn't giving the book my full attention 100% of the time, I could still tell that it was a really great book! I gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars!
Laia is a slave.

Elias is a soldier.

Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.
It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.
But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.
There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself. https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/20560137-an-ember-in-the-ashes
The fourth book that I read this month was "The Demigod Diaries" by Rick Riordan! I've been putting off reading this collection of stories for one reason only. The first story is told from Luke's point of view. I just couldn't get into it! I knew that the other ones would be great..... and of course they were! All of the stories were actually really nice! I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars!
What dangers do runaway demigods Luke and Thalia face on their way to Camp Half-Blood? Are Percy and Annabeth up to the task of rescuing stolen goods from a fire-breathing giant who doesn't take kindly to intruders? How exactly are Leo, Piper, and Jason supposed to find a runaway table, dodge a band of party-loving Maenads (who just might be a little psychotic), and stave off a massive explosion...all in one hour or less? With his trademark wit and creativity, Rick Riordan answers these questions and more in three never-before-seen short stories that provide vital back-story to the Heroes of Olympus and Percy Jackson books. Original art, enlightening character interviews and profiles, puzzles, and a quiz add to the fun in this action-packed collection. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12959086-the-demigod-diaries

The final book that I read this month was "These Broken Stars" by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. This book is described as 'Titanic in space', which is why I was so interested in this book(besides the gorgeous cover). It does have similarities to Titanic, but after the first 50 or so pages, it develops a story all its own! I really enjoyed this book despite some major plot holes! I gave it a 3.5 out of 5 stars rating!
Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive -- alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth. 
The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.                                             -
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20873160-these-broken-stars




Hope you guys enjoyed seeing what I read this month! Check back tomorrow for my July TBR! All books were purchased by me, and all opinions are my own! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers

Subscribe