Re-Review- City of Bones by Cassandra Clare #tmireadathon

5:07:00 PM

City of Bones... 

When I read City of Bones for the first time, I remember it being a struggle. It took a long time for me to finish it for two reasons, this was the first time I'd actually started to like reading, and I saw the movie first.... Woah. Woah. Woah. Wait a minute, I saw the movie first??? Yep that's right, imagine this:
Me sitting on the couch, channel surfing and looking for a movie to watch when bam! I see the movie The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. Hmm, I remember thinking that I'd seen the trailer on TV a couple of times a while ago and decided to watch it. Though I should say that I started it like twenty minutes in or so and was confused for a while, but I wanted to know more... So I started to google it and the rest is history. I found out about the book while getting spoiled mildly and then picked up the book from the library. The main reason that I struggled to get through this book is I am a slow reader and get distracted a lot, and since I knew a bunch about City of Bones from the movie (or so I'd thought. What a horrible adaptation!) I thought it was a waste to read what I already knew, BUT I made myself read it and not skip it so that's the only thing that matters!
Since the Shadowhunters TV show has become so very popular, a tag has gone viral throughout instagram, etc. This tag is called #tmireadathon and was started by the instagram: nephilimevents The goal of this tag is to read every Shadowhunter Chronicle book in the months leading up to the TV shows premier. 
Since I've read and loved them all I jumped at the idea of re-reading my favorite series! So here's the thing, since this is a re-review I am going to separate this into two sections. Section one is a short spoiler free review and stars. Section two is the actual re-review with spoilers and talking about re-reading the book.



Review:

City of Bones a book about young Clary Fray, her mother has been kidnapped, she's witnessed the unthinkable, and she might actually be going crazy? 

City of Bones is the first in the Shadowhunter Chronicle books, while it's not the best of the series it welcomes you to the world of Shadowhunters! (And believe me you will never read a fantasy book like it!) Since this is the first book we have to learn a lot about the Shadowhunter world and that's a lot of information to process and because of this the book may seem boring or too long (at first).
This may be biased considering I've already read them all, I don't have anything really bad to say about it.
"The characters were introduced well, the plot was nice and strong, and the world of The Mortal Instruments just keeps you wanting more!"-Makayla
 ☆ 4/5




Re-Review (Spoilers)

After Re-reading City of Bones I saw a lot of foreshadowing that I missed the first time around, especially at the end. But I'll start at the beginning. 
I noticed how young Clary and Jace actually are, at the beginning Clary is about to turn sixteen in a couple of days and I'm assuming Jace is Sixteen at the time, almost seventeen.
I also get a since of how much has happened in a short time. At the end of CoB Clary mentions that a lot had happened over the past two weeks, so we have to remember how short of a time period each book is.
Did anyone else forget about the sensors? (Thank Henry for them!)
This time around I also felt bad for Luke, because when you read it for the first time you aren't sure what's really going on and why Luke tells Clary that he's not her father and he doesn't want her calling him for help. But this time I just felt so bad for him because you know it was hard for him to have to do that and when he says that he had nothing to lose from becoming the leader of the pack because he was sure Clary hated him and Jocelyn was gone.
Isabelle wasn't as moody and bitchy as I'd thought she had been. Isabelle was actually really sweet in CoB and I think thoughout the books she becomes tougher and more closed up.
Alec was the moody one. I'd forgotten how much Alec absolutely hated Clary in CoB and how Magnus wasn't as inviting as I'd thought.
So for the last bit let's talk about foreshadowing shall we? 😍
Cassie totally foreshadowed Malec guys! It's true!
 I thought you might like Magnus. He’s nice, isn’t he?”
“Nice?” Alec looked at her as if she were insane. “Kittens are nice. Warlocks are—” He hesitated. “Not,” he finished, lamely.
“I thought you might hit it off.” Isabelle’s eye makeup glittered as bright as tears as she glanced over at her brother. “Get to be friends.”- City of Bones; Cassandra Clare, page 245.
 &

Are you the one with the blue eyes?"
"Actually, my eyes are usually described as golden...and luminous.”
- City of Bones; Cassandra Clare, page 247

 &
So Magnus fixed you?” Clary said. “Luke said-”
“He did!” said Isabelle. “It was so awesome. He showed up and ordered everyone out of the room and shut the door. Blue and red sparks kept exploding out into the hallway from underneath the floor.”
“I don’t remember any of it,” said Alec.
“Then he sat by Alec’s bed all night and into the morning to make sure he woke up okay,” Isabelle added.
“I don’t remember that, either,” Alec added hastily.
Isabelle’s red lips curved into a smile.”- City of Bones; Cassandra Clare page 477.
I wonder what actually went on in the infirmary that night! 😂 Did you notice how Alec was also in such a good mood that he was almost giddy? 
You get the point right?  I'm not even sure this is a proper review anymore, I think it just turned into my Malec quotes shrine. 





Don't forget to follow this blog and comment to share your opinions on this review! If you'd like go check out our links, which are on our pages right there at the top!

-Makayla IG| @stories_are_forever_

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers

Subscribe