REVIEW- Killer Instinct by S. E. Green

2:02:00 AM

*Disclaimer* You can actually like a book even if you have a lot of problems and criticism towards it...


 My Rating:✮✮☆☆☆ 2/5


Non-Spoiler Review:

I'll start by saying this book could have gotten five stars if it wasn't for the fact that it wasn't original... 

My thoughts on this book are mixed, though I liked the book it seemed too much like a remake of Dexter/Darkly Dreaming Dexter, but instead of a middle aged man who is a blood splatter analyst as a protagonist we get Lane, a teenage girl who studies serial killers. Just by the back description, my first impression of this book was Mara Dyer mixed with Dexter. Which it kind of was but not really, it was mostly just a copy of Dexter. 
This book also was WAY too predictable, without giving away spoilers I'll just say that I knew who the decapitator was from the first chapter. I'd guessed most of the plot's twists, and would have liked some more romance, because there was no reason to have Zach and his drama in the book at all. They literally had barely a connection so the author probably just threw him in. 

I don't think I can say anymore without spoiling, except that I really dislike hating on books but I'd also like to point out that I'm not spreading hate toward this book I am just stating my opinion. I did enjoy the book I just wish it was more original. You should know that the writing has you wanting to know more so I didn't get bored reading it. I also think you would enjoy this book more if you knew nothing about Dexter. That be said will I read the second book Killer Within? Probably, if I see it at Barnes and Noble I just might pick it up maybe the second one will be better and more original.





Spoiler Review: (Read Non-Spoiler first) *DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ DEXTER OR AT LEAST SEEN THE SHOW*

So we'll rewind to why this book is WAY too much like Dexter/Darkly Dreaming Dexter.
The first thing that struck similar to Dexter, was the decapitator. The decapitator has a striking resemblance to the antagonist serial killer in Dexter whom is referred to as, The Ice Truck Killer [in the show] and Tamiami Slasher [in the book(s)]

Both killers/antagonists;
  • Decapitate their victims.
  • Leave the body parts to be found. (Both at one point leave a body part to be found by protagonist. i.e. ice rink in both books, at hockey game in Killer Instinct and ice rink in Dexter. 
  • Paint their victims nails. (Mentioned at end of Killer Instinct, that's why they thought James Donner was the decapitator because he knew the nail polish color. And the Ice Truck Killer painted his victims nails and then froze the hand.
  • Send messages and threaten protagonists.
  • Are related to protagonists.
Another thing I'd like to point out an event in this book that is extremely similar to an episode in Season one of Dexter. 

In Killer Instinct their 'maid/cleaning lady' Ercita's (first of all how is this even pronounced? Erica? Air-E-C-ta? I looked it up and it's not even a name!) brother is missing and that leads to Lane tracking down Lynn Hoppman who is essentially helping immigrants into the U.S. he's made a good reputation of getting people in successfully on work visas but holding some captive I'm assuming to sell off. 

While in the episode of Dexter; Rita's co-worker Yelina is upset because her fiance who was immigrating from Cuba illegally with the help of a coyote is missing, Rita then asks Dexter to look into it with his police connections. He then tracks down a man called Jorge who is murdering immigrants that he's smuggled because they can't pay for their freedom. Episode 5 of Season 1 of DEXTER titled 'Love American Style'. 

Extremely similar right?


***EXTREME SPOILER OF BOTH DEXTER AND KILLER INSTINCT I WARNED YOU!***





The Tamiami Slasher/ Killer/Ice Truck Killer[in show] is Dexter's brother Brian Moser.

The Decapitator is Lane's mother and biological father (Whom I guessed was the decapitator from the books description before I even read the book)



So now you can see why I was disappointed that this book wasn't more original, that being said I really want to read the second book to see if it has a better plot and if Lane gets some romance (for real, not just hook ups) and see why Dr. Issa is so sketchy! It was never explained why he was so sketchy about buying the home improvement stuff at Target. Hmm... 








Don't forget to follow this blog and comment to share your opinions on this review! If you'd like go check out our links, which are on our pages right there at the top! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers

Subscribe