REVIEW- Me and Earl and The Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

6:50:00 PM

https://instagram.com/p/37NDtdLeHh/?taken-by=ourstoriesareperfect
 (***Non-Spoiler***) TBR Jar challenge: Read a Debut Novel
Me and Earl and The Dying Girl, a book I walked by time after time in Barnes and Noble. Not because I'd heard anything negative about it, but because I'd had heard nothing about it at all in general. I knew nothing of the film and hadn't even seen any of the trailers!(And have yet to see them after reading it) So to be completely honest I only picked up this book for two reasons; 1. It said 'Now a Major Motion Picture' 2. The cover is a really bright and pretty yellow/green.

So for the actual review...

Me and Earl and The Dying Girl, a book that by the title screams 'JUST LIKE THE FAULT IN OUR STARS!' Ha Ha. No. There is absolutely nothing remotely similar to it to say that this book is like 'The Fault in Our Stars'.
To get this over with I wouldn't say this was the best book ever or that it was the worst but that it was competent.
Here's why; There was no real plot to this book, if anything it was a short story of the past two-four months of the main character Greg's life. It wasn't completely boring but it wasn't the most exciting book. Another thing was this book is not the most completely organized, meaning in random places we get a paragraph of random information or we learn facts too late in the story.
There was no emotional attachment to the characters, and I had no pull on the hearts strings.
Greg was a really frustrating person to deal with. The whole time he was in denial but not really, he knew Rachel was sick and dying but he wasn't emotional towards her and I don't mean in a 'I love you' kind of way, I mean just as a friend.
Though I have all these reasons to not like the book I also have reasons to like it as well.
Though most of the jokes in this book weren't funny there were some funny parts in the book and incidents that I found hilarious.
Also I liked how he wrote it in present tense where it was like he was talking to us. Example 'Meanwhile, I guess I probably have to describe the films to you. You're being less awesome than Rachel, you stupid reader.'
So I'll just say that I 'liked' this book. It wasn't the best (3 out of 5).

If books with good plots were lines, normal (5 stars) are just a large curve, and Me and Earl and The Dying Girl is a straight line.











Don't forget to follow this blog and comment to share your opinions on this review! If you'd like go check out our links, which are on our pages right there at the top! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers

Subscribe