Winger by Andrew Smith

1:23:00 AM

☆☆☆☆ 4/5 stars
 Follow our bookstagram for more bookish posts! IG | @ourstoriesareperfect 

No Spoiler Review-

Casual but briliantly written coming of age novel about a fourteen year old junior attending boarding school who is attempting to stay out of trouble but not so much doing a great job of it. . This book is hilarious with its inside jokes and fourth wall breaks, while also keeping the story itself very realistic and easy to read. You will not want to set this book down whether you are reading it (ebook or not), or listening to it. Personally I thought making the main character flawed and incredibly normal made the book as amazing as it was and if he wasn't annoying at times and perfect it wouldn't have let this book have the impact that it did. I mainly gave this book a high rating for its comedy and impact, I thought that it had many messages to send to teenagers and kids who read the book, for example one thing that I enjoyed was how the main character seemed to always contradict himself if he insulted someone or thought something that may not have been entirely appropriate. The writer also gave the main character a voice in his writing that I think everyone has, it's this voice in your head that has no boundaries, while also repeatedly showing how the main character would never say such things aloud though he wanted to. I'd also like to acknowledge the narrator that narrated the audiobook of Winger, he did a very great job at keeping me the listener focused on the book with his many voices and energy. I find many people have a hard time with audiobook narrators but he did not bore me one bit, though I wished he had a different girl voice because it always sounded like Annie was an older woman, ha! No really, I believe he did a fantastic job at reading it and Andrew Smith did a wonderful job of writing such a great book!


Some quotes to enjoy:



“Okay, well . . . yeah, I didn’t really say “Shut the fuck up,” because I honestly don’t cuss. But I wanted to. I think, in reality, I raised my finger to my lips and said, “Shhhhh,” so she wouldn’t say anything else as we spiraled into the center of that wish circle.” 
― Andrew SmithWinger


“And I'm pretty sure that everyone in the Pacific Northwest heard Ryan Dean West shout, "YOUSTEPPEDONMYFUCKINGNUTSYOUSONOFABITCH!” 
― Andrew SmithWinger





Written by Makayla
My Goodreads Shortened Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1644252091
Follow us on our Bookstagram here: https://www.instagram.com/ourstoriesareperfect/
Follow us on twitter here: https://twitter.com/storiesareperf

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers

Subscribe